The Wellness Center’s mission is to reduce the impact of stress on our students and provide for each child well-being of body, mind and spirit. The Wellness Center offers counseling to CFS and UPA students, families and staff; promotes healthy habits and provides unique education programs encouraging creativity and wellbeing.
Our teachers and staff are given training focused on promoting resilience in our youth – which is the ability to get through difficult times and come out the other side healthy and whole – helping kids identify and build on their strengths.
Children and teens that experience stress have difficulty focusing and controlling their behavior. To address this, the practice of mindfulness is being piloted in 67% of our classrooms. In addition weekly yoga classes are offered at our after school programs and schools, empowering our students to become more confident about and connected to their bodies.
Healthy lifestyles include a healthy relationship with food. A farm to school approach allows our students to grow and harvest fresh vegetables and cook meals using produce grown in our garden in the Spirit Building kitchen.
The UrbanPromise Wellness Center offers:
- Counseling: We have a full-time therapist who helps youth and families when it’s needed, and helps address any issues that arise in the classroom.
- Mindfulness Meditation: Students learn how to sit quietly and become aware of what they are thinking and feeling. This helps calm anxiety and improve focus.
- Cooking Classes: The Vetri Foundation helps to lead cooking classes for 5th graders once a week. In the summer we have garden cooking classes in which we cook what we grow!
- Gardening: We have 20 garden beds where students learn how to grow the food they eat in our cafeteria.
- Keep Moving: We work with classrooms to increase physical activity throughout the day, like moving for one minute every hour, improving focus and memory.